Sunday, March 20, 2011

Homeschool Happenings...

We are back from the Homeschool conference in Greenville.. first of all heads up to any one
who ever gets a chance to see Tim Hawkins Live.. GO!! He is hilarious.. be
prepared to be a little offended while you laugh your head off!



I needed the laugh after a day of battling with High School Transcripts and
"post year guilt". (I'm thinking I am not the only homeschool mother
in the universe who gets to the end of a year and wishes she had incorporated
"Architectural bridge building in Greek for kindergarten" into her
curriculum.. I jest but only a little.



I sat and watched several mothers come rushing from a seminar to an
exhibition booth and hurriedly cramming multiple resources into their bags, I
know they think they have just stumbled upon the solution to perfect
homeschooling.. hopefully it will work, if not there will be another seminar
and another exhibitor next year. The scope, resources and choices are mind
boggling.. I decided years ago to chose one and stick to it. I supplement and
provide resources from other folks but I'm done leaping from one solution to
another when the real solution is Just Do It.



I sometimes daydream about being invited to speak at one of these events...
of encouraging mom's and dad's to stick at it, to be consistent and persistent
and not judge others or themselves..but especially not their children, lest
they become prideful and conceited or discouraged. I'd love to be able to share
some of the struggles we have faced as foster parents and adoptive parents and
the lessons we have learned along the way. It would be nice to throw in the
military life we lead and how we have to rethink our strategies sometimes
because we move before the end of a school year, into a State with vastly
different laws and into a job that may or may not require my full time
attention as well as my husbands. Maybe I could encourage folks to look outside
of their school room to their non homeschooling community, to relish the fact
that the neighborhood children love it at their house and the table always has
extra folks at it.. or to encourage them to at least try it.

Would I be able to stick to an hour? Do I need to write a book first so people can rush out and cram it into their bags and lives? How many people would I offend? Could I get away with offence if I was funny and spoke in a really strong British accent?

Fun thoughts and questions which I happily do not need to find an answer for as 1) I am not a published speaker or syndicated author and 2) I'm not likely to be any time soon.. the probabilty of me ever being asked to speak at an event like this is little to none. I certainly do apprecaite the folks who were willing to do so though!

And I did come home with a bunch of books to add to our studies next year or to read... just for fun!

"Masonary for toddlers.. how to pay for and build your own home by first grade".. should be fun, caroline watch out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment