Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Preparing..

I have been preparing to have my children in my home now for over three years, their names and bodies have changed in those three years but the preparation has remained constant. Even the hours of reading and preparing for girl hair when we thought Whitney was going to be coming home will stand me in good stead for Grandbaby girls later.. or fun hair styles on my boys now.

One thing that we were glad we knew, ahead of going out to see the twins that first time, was skin care needs. Their beautiful brown skin was so dry in places and red in others but I was ready! Armed with Aveeno wash and coca butter galore I set to. Within a few days their skin was soft and supple again and the angry red was gone and I was hooked on cocoa butter! Nasty diaper rash vanished with a good dose of "butt cream" ... don't freak out Mum, it is a name of a nappy rash cream they sell here in America :0)


My little men have hair that seems to grow in a line on the top of their heads.

Wadley left as a little one and Peter above sporting a twist :0)

So in preparation for their home coming I have been researching hair styles and hair care. The cresche keeps them pretty closely cropped..

I like this look on them but I think we will let them have a little more hair once they get home. So I have been stocking up on ideas for hair styles. I've been checking out hair and, at ,can barely stop myself from going up to a gentleman whose hair I have admired to ask him for care tips!
Infrequent washing, tangle free combing from the tips up and moisturising hair products are in my future. Right now I am watching tutorials on waves and can hardly wait for the boys hair to grow in so we can get started :0)

I keep wanting to pick up diapers and creams, clothes and shoes but have learnt from experience to hold off on such purchases, I'm not ready to have to donate another set of clothes because they grew out of them before we could get them home. Plus it is hard to guess what sizes they are in now! But the excitement is still there..actually honestly it can go both ways in the baby department, I can either be excitedly anticipating their arrival and visualising them in their various play outfits.. or I can be choking back the heart wrenching sobs, that seem to come from no where, because my boys aren't home..or because I just caught a glimpse of twin outfits. I basically try to avoid that department if I can.

The pack and plays that seemed like they wold suffice are no longer floating my boat. But do I get two cribs or try to put Wadley in a toddler bed? Should their cribs resemble the ones they had in Haiti or should I try to go for something far from that? How traumatising is a bed going to be? These things I don't have a handle on yet. The children at the cresche sleep in their cribs until they are at least 8 or 9 years old. Will we be able to fit two cribs in our room? These wonderful thoughts, these very real practical thoughts are what I dwell on now. My boys are SO CLOSE to being home!!!!
Tomorrow is Thursday, the day we pray fervently for the children at NLL and for all our friends who are adopting. God is gracious to allow us to pray and to be part of the joy and miracle of answered prayer. Each week we are one week closer!

Off to listen to my Creole tape one more time!!! Bwen nuit!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad for you that you're excited about hairstyles...I am intimidated by hair in general-- including my own. I was a little relieved when we were referred boys. Probably, I need to start looking at my budget to include professionals. =) Since our boys do not sleep in cribs when we go to stay and seem to enjoy the space, I am not planning on cribs. I know ours are a bit older though. The convertible crib to toddler bed versions are pretty nice too. =)

    ReplyDelete