Saturday, January 14, 2012

I didn't post on Thursday

I didn't post on Thusrsday.. the day many of us stopped and reflected on the earthquake that hit Haiti. I didn't post but I spent all day thinking and trying to process those thoughts. And at the end of the day I realised there was nothing I could write that would acurately be able to portray the emotions of remembering. If the people who endured the event, the loss, the grief, the death and the continued struggles from that day two years ago can't put it into words that hold meaning how could I. I can write words that have emotion but, watching people I have come to know and care about struggle so intimately with the loss... words seem to come out hollow. I feel the same way now when I go and visit Haiti. It's hard to look at the destruction that is still evident like huge gaping wounds. I feel weary and wonder how it must feel to have people drive by taking photo after photo of your struggle? I know it is important to share that aspect of Haiti. It is after all where we can do the most visable work. Clearing the rubble would be huge.. rebuilding is huge.. feeding, educating, clothing and giving clean water.. all essential to life and hope. But there is so much MORE to Haiti and to the Haitian people. Such an incredible, intense beauty. A rich history, a beautiful country scarred by the impositions made upon it as it is. So I didn't post on Thursday so I could stop and listen to the words of the people who are the most affected. And so I could pray, and ask God to take my prayers, inefficent in words as they are, and make them into a prayer of healing and beauty fragrant for the throne room and for the people I have come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment